The Trauma Healing Project was initiated 14 years ago by a coalition of survivors, lay community members, professionals, students and researchers concerned about the negative impact of trauma on individual and community health. We believe that in order to improve the quality of life in our communities and to end violence and abuse, healing and recovery must be understood, promoted, and accessible.
The Trauma Healing Project Incorporated as a 501(c)3 in 2006.
Highlights & Accomplishments
The THP has worked effectively since 2004 to increase community awareness of interventions, responses and approaches that promote healing and resolution of trauma and violence. To date we have:
1) Brought educational programming to our community including national and international experts to raise awareness of the impact of trauma and approaches to healing and recovery. This effort has become our current Training and Consultation Program. (2004 to present)
2) Conducted Survivor Voices Research: participatory action research project in partnership with the CDC and NW Health Foundation to raise awareness, and to improve understanding, services and supports (2008-2011)
3) Established an innovative Healing Arts Service Learning Program: providing complementary and alternative medicine care to survivors, including our Parent Wellbeing Program, while providing hands-on training to practitioners. (2012 to present)
4) Partnered with the Community Health Centers of Lane County (CHC) to establish the Alternative Care Clinic, and effort to reduce opioid use by providing mindfulness and acupuncture to patients experiencing chronic paid, fibromyalgia, and migraines. (2017- present)
5) Worked as lead consultants to the Lane County System of Care’s effort to become trauma-informed, providing consultation and training support to member agencies that serve over 80% of Lane County’s most vulnerable individuals and families involved in public systems (ODHS, Lane County Health & Human Services, EC Cares, Direction Service, Bethel School District, and Lane County Head Start. 2018- present).